Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Doll House

The Doll House examines the role of women in society through the character of Nora. In the end, Nora shows herself to be much more thatn the reader may expect upon first introductions; although, still rather self-absorbed. It is this quality, however, that generates and interesting argument concerning the role of modern women. Nora does, indeed, represent the modern woman in all of her glories as well as her tragedies. Although she breaks free from the styreotype that is her prison and strives to expand her mind and give herself experience, she does so at the cost of her children. That she could cast off her children so easily and so permenantly was extremely disturbing to me. Does she not have maternal instincts? What effect will this have on her children? What will this teach them? I think that this final scene in the Doll House truely shows the struggle and conflict of the modern woman. What good are our achievements if we sacrifice our children in the process?

5 comments:

Suchita Mandair said...

While I believe you do pose important questions on the well-being of Nora's children after she leaves, I disagree with your characterizations of Nora as self-absorbed and a modern women. She is in fact far from self-absorbed because she puts her reputation in jeopardy by forging her father's signature in order to help her husband, and she insists on taking the fall for actions--she even contemplates suicide in order to keep her husband from blame.

Good job!

JessicaGordon said...

Hi Nicole!

I like when in class today you brought up the point to me that how can we view Nora in such a positive way when she left her children? I think this is a very interesting and maybe it is a reflection on the imperfections that are present in human nature: Nora cannot be perfect. I don't fully agree that Nora is self-absorbed because she took a really big step to break away from her controlling and degrading husband to try to be more than just a doll in her husband's mind. But, I love that we sit next to each other in English this semester and that you always bring up a point that I haven't thought of!

Will French said...

Sorry, Nicole, I have to agree with Suchita about Nora. The way I see it, it's sort of like my play when Troy has to overcome his instinctual selfishness to protect Nicole. In terms of the children, though, I can certainly understand how Nora could be perceived as self-absorbed. I'm not really sure what I think about those final questions you posed. Whatever your thoughts, I was impressed by your questions because you clearly brought your reading to another level of in-depth analysis and critical thinking.

Alex Van Horssen said...

I thought your blog was very interesting. I agree that Nora had to strive to become independent, but not at the expense of her children. I do not think that Ibsen thought that her abandonment of her children was unjustified, but I certainly do. Good job!

Anna Silverman said...

Nicole

I completely agree with your argument (my blog says basically the same thing)! I feel the same sense of confusion on why she decides to completely abandon her children. In the end though, I think that it is a tool to show the reader just how much pain and sacrifice a woman had to go through to become completely independent and self- aware. Great blog!